For politics, according to the Oxford Dictionary English , you can be smart, cautious, prudent or cunning. So political behavior in a organisation it could be in want or not want.
The organizations that comprise and individuals who, although they are there to achieve a common goal, but will, at the same time, driven by the needs of their own to achieve their targets.
Management effectiveness is the process of aligning the business and individual ambitions to the common good. Most people will actually believe that using political means to achieve their targets it will provide benefits for the organization, as well as for themselves.
While others will rationalize this business. And others will not feel embarrassed to pursue the interests of their own.They typically use all their powers of persuasion to confirm these interests to their peers, but private interests will continue to be the main driver. This is a corporate politicians in Bahasa Inggeris Oxford Dictionary describes as a ‘composer tactics, planning scenarios or intrik- intrigue.’
Politicians in the organization could be like that. They move behind the backs of the people, to block proposals they do not like. They develop their own career and reputation at the expense of others. They could be jealous and envious and act according to it. They are bad news.
But it could also be argued that a political approach to the management of it is something that can not be avoided even in want, in any organization, where the clarity of the targets is not absolute, in which the decision-making process was not completely clear, and where the authority to make that decision is not evenly distributed or not distributed fairly. And there can be little organization in which one or more of these conditions do not apply.
Andrew Kakabadse acknowledge this point when he says in The Politics of Management: ‘Politics is a process to influence people and groups that approved the standpoint of you, where you can not rely on authority.’ In this sense, a political approach could be valid as long as it is done in a manner that accountability can be accounted for from the standpoint of the organization.
Kakabadse identify seven approaches used organizational politicians:
- Identifying the shareholders, those who have committed to act in a certain way.
- Maintaining the shareholders in order to remain in control, concentrate on behaviors, values, attitudes, fear and the urge to be accepted, tolerated and carried by individuals (zones comfortable).
- Adjusting image – work on zones comfortable and adjust their image with those who have power.
- Using a network – to identify interest groups and influential people.
- Entering network – identify the doorman, adhere to the norms.
- Make dealings – agreed to support others if this is equally beneficial.
- Hold and retreat – to withhold information if feasible and retreated wisely when things get rough.
Most of these rules are more legitimate than others. Organizational life that requires managers to identify key decision makers when they are involved in developing new approaches and resolve things.
Before arriving at a final conclusion and launch a proposal to a committee or in a memorandum, it would make sense to first test the opinions and find out how others will react.
This test would make the manager can anticipate counter arguments and modify their proposals, either to meet legal objections or, when there is no alternative, to accommodate the requirements of others.
Make dealings may seem not very desired, but it did happen, and the manager can always rationalize this type of behavior by referring to the final result. Withholding information that is not legitimate behavior, but people are often doing it because knowing the fact that knowledge is power.
Backward wisely may also seem in question, but the managers generally prefer to live to fight another day in the appeal of committing suicide.
Politicians organizational utilize hidden influence to get his wish, and the ‘politicization’ in some form taking place in most organizations. If you want to increase, then a degree of political sensitivity in need – to know what is happening so that the effect can be used. It means:
- Knowing how ‘things done around here.’
- Knowing how decisions were made, including the factors that may affect the less obvious decisions.
- Knowing where the power base is in the organizing – who run it; anyone people into account when decisions are taken.
- Being aware of what is happening behind the scenes.
- Knowing who is becoming a rising star; who’s reputation faded.
- Identify ‘hidden agendas’ – trying to me -mahami what is being done people, and why.
- Find out what other people think and find.
- Networking – as is suggested Kakabadse, identify interest groups.
However, the danger of politics, is that it can be taken too far, and then it can be very harmful to the effectiveness of an organization. Signs of political behavior craze that had wasters include:
- Stabbed from behind.
- Each drop.
- Meeting-secret meeting and decisions are hidden.
- The feud between people and departments.
- Paper war between armed camps – arguing over a memorandum, has always shown a sign of mistrust.
- Mutual criticizing and insulting comments.
- Lobbying excessive and counter-productive.
- Establishment of plots – small groups that spend their time doing deceit.
Faced with politicians of Organizational
One way to deal with this kind of behavior is to find out who is melakukkannya and openly confront them for the damage they do.
They will, of course, deny that they behave politically (they will not menjad politicians are not doing so) but the fact that they have been identified as possible would lead them to change their approach.
It could, of course, only serves to drive them further underground, in this case, their behavior will be observed more closely and corrective actions to be taken if necessary.
A more positive approach to keep the politics to operate on a level that can be received is to organize the handling of its operations as transparent as possible. The goals should be to ensure that the issues were discussed in full, that differences of opinion were faced with a true and disagreements were not taken personally, as far as is possible.
Political processes can then be viewed as a way to maintain the momentum of organizing as an entity decision-making and solving complex problems.